Elder Care Providers in Minnesota
Elder Care Providers in Minnesota

Here is an Overview of the Types of Elder Care Provider Regulators


Main Government Agencies – Four main agencies regulate senior elder care in Minnesota.

First, the Federal Government Health and Human Services Department, under the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), regulates facilities taking Medicare and Medicaid payments, such as nursing homes.

Second, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) works in conjunction with CMS to survey nursing home facilities and ensure Medicare/Medicaid facilities comply with federal and state law. The MDH also provides state licenses and registrations for many senior care options including nursing homes, boarding care homes, home care providers (Class A, B, C, and F licenses), housing with services registration, home management registration, and board and lodging.

Third, the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) works in conjunction with CMS to make Medicare/Medicaid payments. The DHS also grants licenses to certain senior care options such as adult foster care, adult day services, and residential homes for mentally and physically impaired individuals. The DHS works in conjunction with the MDH to provide background checks on potential employees of senior care facilities.

Finally, the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) oversees the operation of Veterans Homes in Minnesota.

This website is not intended to provide legal advice as each situation is different and specific factual information must be obtained before an attorney is able to assess the legal questions relevant to your situation.

If you or a loved one has suffered an injury or abuse in a nursing home or other care facility that serves the elderly in Minnesota , please contact our firm for a free consultation and information regarding the obligations of the facility and your rights as a resident or concerned family member. To contact attorney Kenneth LaBore, directly please send an email to KLaBore@MNnursinghomeneglect.com, or call Ken at 612-743-9048.

Overview of Regulators of Minnesota Elder Care System